Wrinkles are a natural part of aging and the skin becomes less elastic as we age. The fat present in the deeper layers of the skin decreases causing loose and saggy skin.
The decrease of natural oils can also make the skin appear wrinkled. In some cases, the wrinkles can become deep crevices or furrows and might be noticed around the eyes, mouth, and neck.
- Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light
- Repeated facial expressions, such as squinting or smiling, lead to fine lines, and wrinkles
Some of the treatment options opted for wrinkles and lines are:
- Topical retinoids applied on the skin may reduce fine wrinkles, splotches, and skin roughness.
- Dermabrasion (also called dermaplaning) is controlled surgical scraping to refinish the skin’s top layers. It may smoothen out the fine facial wrinkles on either small areas or the entire face. The redness, scabbing and swelling from this procedure might last for weeks.
- Chemical peels help in dissolving the skin away and is a method of skin resurfacing that can result in smoother, younger looking skin. The redness from this treatment might last several weeks.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing directs pulsating beams of light at irregular skin. In some cases, it can stimulate the growth of new collagen fibers.
- Botox prevents muscles from contracting. When the muscles can’t tighten, the appearance of wrinkles is diminished. It works well on the lines between the eyebrows, across the forehead and also on crow’s feet at the corner of the eyes. The results might last up to four months. Continued wrinkle treatment might require repeat injections.
- Hyaluronic Acid Injections use fat, collagen, or can work as soft tissue fillers, plumping and smoothening the wrinkles. This treatment needs to be repeated every few months.
- Skin tightening with heat using radiofrequency, ultrasound or light can induce collagen contraction.
- Face Lift is a surgery that tightens the muscles and connective tissues in the face.
- Protect your skin from the sun.
- Use products with built-in sunscreen.
- Use moisturizers.
- Don't smoke.
- Eat a healthy diet.